Glad You Could Visit!

Thanks for stopping by. I've come kicking and screaming to the blogosphere, but I've decided it might be easier to organize myself here. It's much more fun than cleaning house, which I don't do anyway.

Buddy and Tigger welcome you, too. Buddy, the bully cat, has been relegated to be an indoorsman(cat) unless on a leash. So we have leashes attached and at the ready on the front porch as well as the back deck. He's very contented to be tethered although he has a tendency to walk in and out of chair legs, then meow pitifully, waiting for someone to come and unwrap him.

Tigger likes to tig around. If you aren't familiar with the term, "to tig" means to walk on long thin legs in a hippy-hop manner, where only one foot is on the ground at a time. She has huge eyes and a small face and a blond paw. And yes, she sometimes acts the part.

These two have a wonderful backyard close to the heart of the city. We live a metropolitan life, but we still have racoons and possums that visit nightly. Tig can be seen napping in her chair on the deck with one or two racoons eating their dinner below her. All co-exist at this house.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Tony Minieri

I had needlepointed back in the 1970s, as most others did at the time, using wool thread and one type of stitch called basketweave or tent, depending on the technique used. The result was basically the same, and if you aren't familiar with needlepoint, you would recognize this stitch immediately as it is all the same, with the stitch crossing a junction of two canvas threads and moving at a diagonal across them. I've only got a couple of canvases from that older era. When I returned to needlepoint and knowing no difference, I started where I left off. Then I found EMBELLISHMENT, and then...Tony.

2004: The first class I attended with Tony Minieri was an education. I had no idea what to expect, and here comes this short middle-aged Italian man from New Jersey. Entertaining, insightful and interesting are words that immediately describe him, but they don't do justice to his artistic sensibilities.


My first canvas was a simple bunny.




Tony gave me easy stitches to get me started and then challenged me with ruching. Unfortunately, Tony suffered an accident prior to the class so he wasn't there to teach it. I fumbled along and laid the canvas aside for several years.










2005: The next year's class provided another opportunity. I chose a cute nutcracker boot. Another challenge, and this time with Tony in attendance, I began to learn the correct methods for many stitching functions that I had taught myself and were, frankly, wrong. The nutcracker stitching is finished but he's not yet been made into the boot that he will soon be.









This same year I started "Noshi Ribbons", a study of the color wheel that will be a lovely group of ribbons if I ever get it finished. It was originally a monthly series, designed so the stitcher can complete one ribbon per month. I've gotten five ribbons done so far, and I started it 2 1/2 years ago. So much for the month-rule! No picture of this one yet!

2006: Next came one of my very favorite projects. Her name is "Rance's Dreamgirl" in honor of my artist-friend-diver Rance in Cozumel. He does fabulous paintings, gold jewelry, sculpture, and photography. Tony designed some great boobs on this one, right up Rance's alley! Note the unique trim on this pillow.





























I took a big risk by signing up for "Patterns of the Orient". This was a real challenge to me because of starting with a blank canvas, having to count before stitching, laying thread upon thread to get the effect, and really working outside the box. This design is a study of Chinese, Japanese and Korean textiles. Many needlepointers know this work, but I suspect that only a fraction of the ones who have taken this class have completed it. The great satisfaction that enveloped me when I took the last stitch is indescribeable. Once I have completed "Journey", I'll have both of these framed. Where I'll hang them is still a mystery. We aren't quite this sophisticated!


















2007: Boldly, I decided to give Tony two canvases for the class. The first is a perfect rendition of my sister and me - great golfers that we are, as "Golfing Sisters".








And, as good sisters, we always need a little wine after a round of golf. Here's "Set the Cow for Dinner" made into a pillow.





















Tony Minieri has challenged me once again. The second in his series of fabric studies from different cultures, "Journey to Satchidinanda" explores the Indian fabrics used in saris. Because saris define the Indian woman, Tony visited the shops in Houston (among other cities), described what he wanted to the women of the shops and began his own journey of discovering the drapes and folds, hues and colors of these rich fabrics. Saris are quite different, depending upon the culture and region, and he's captured the simplest of them to the most sophisticated. You'll see from the photo of my work that I'm not quite finished with this piece, and I'm saving the peacock for the last. It will be gold work with Swarovski sequins to represent the eyes on the peacock's tail.



2008: This year's class has me doing a Sharon G canvas that, for now, is waiting in the wings. I have to finish "Journey" so I am ready for the next class in June with Tony. This one will be his "Tagasode". In August my sister and I will be in an embellishment class in Austin. I am really looking forward to that class, as she and I will be together! One more class this year in November with him!


For me, Tony provides a great challenge. He designs fabulous stitch guides that are fun to follow and more fun to complete. The finished product is an incredible work of art.

No comments: